Tuesday, October 23, 2012

New Guest Blog- Banquet in the Rice Field

By Phil Robertson

Half a million acres of California rice fields provide the highest quality rice to the world market, feeding not only millions of people but also millions waterfowl that migrate to and through our great state.  As I write this the table is being set.  Rice is being harvested with some rice being left in the fields.  The fields are then flooded--an invitation to ducks, geese, shorebirds, wading birds, raptors and a wide variety of insects and invertebrates.

I recently visited one such banquet in Sutter County.  Here is some of what I saw.





Don't miss the party and be sure to thank the rice farmer for what he provides us and our feathered friends.


Phil Robertson is a photographer and nature enthusiast from Lincoln. He provides travel, scenic and wildlife photos to private collectors, wildlife artists, various non-profits, environmental consulting companies, travel companies and local and regional publications and corporations.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the pic, Phil. The one thing I miss about my 100 mile per day commute (I recently retired) was seeing the birds as I drove through the rice fields.

    ReplyDelete