Tuesday, October 16, 2012

New Debra DeWit Blog- Harvest VIPs

I almost can’t believe it’s the middle of October already. It doesn’t seem that long ago when the weather was really heating up. Now it’s getting a bit cooler and harvest has just started. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been an easy start. Due to late planting, some rice is still green and moisture levels are just a bit higher than they should be, though some of my dad’s crop was good to send to the dryer.

This past Thursday, I was able to leave school early to go to with my dad and grandpa to meet Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty, the early morning radio hosts on Talk 650 KSTE. My dad listens to them all the time while I catch some of their show when I get to go hunting in winter. Meeting them was really cool. My dad and Brooks, one of our drivers, took them out on the harvesters. They had fun and it was a really great day. They seemed interested in learning more about our family farm.


I’d like to thank them, Jim Morris and the rest of CRC for putting this altogether. Hopefully we can do something like this again in the future.

Debra DeWit: "I grew up in Davis and have been around both my grandpa’s and dad’s rice farms most of my life. My grandpa was the one that started farming and passed the tradition on to my dad. My dad farms rice in Yolo County and my grandpa farms rice in Sutter, Yolo and Sacramento counties. I enjoy talking to my dad and grandpa about their days in the fields and gaining more knowledge about the crop and the business. Currently, my family and I live in Davis, and I go to the high school there. I like to hang out with friends, write, draw, go hunting with my dad and my grandpa, teach Sunday school and going to youth group."

No comments:

Post a Comment