Thursday, January 26, 2012

New Sean Doherty Blog- The Heart of it all

One of the benefits of being a rice farmer is having winter off. Well not really off because we still do some work in the shop getting the machinery ready for the spring. But generally speaking it’s a very welcome, slow time of year. I particularly enjoy these few rainy days we've had- at home with my feet up and a fire in the fireplace.

The reason that these days are so enjoyable is because of my wife Melissa. She is the most important person on our farm, which is quite an understatement. How she manages to simultaneously take care of us and put up with me is a wonder!


She doesn't enjoy a winter off. Spring and fall she is almost, but not quite, a single parent. Summers are spent with our wonderfully exuberant children. Any parent will understand the last part. My worries about our farm are her worries, although it never shows. She just reassures, and encourages me. She is center of our family, making our house a home, and our farm growing.


I can't imagine it's any different across the farms of the Central Valley. Being the spouse of a farmer is very challenging. I just want to make sure it does not go unappreciated or unmentioned.

Sean Doherty is a 3rd generation rice farmer living out his dream, being a rice farmer in Dunnigan.

He farms in Yolo, Colusa, and Sutter Counties with his wife Melissa, and three kids, Hannah, Gus, and Mary. He enjoys being in the fields, watching the seasons, and sharing it with his family.
Read more about Sean in Rice Farming magazine

1 comment: