Monday, September 19, 2011

Guest blog post: Appreciating America

My name is Emily Melton. I have lived in Biggs my whole life. Biggs is a tiny town off of Highway 99 in the Sacramento Valley with a strong sense of community and pride. Everyone practically knows everyone. My love for art is known and that is how I was commissioned to do this flag mural on the concession stand wall of the Biggs/Richvale Little League field.


I have always enjoyed art, whether I am painting, taking classes or just appreciating it. This mural was done just in time for the 4th of July celebration and was featured in The Gridley Herald Newspaper (add link). I hope that it will not only be a great remembrance to others of our great country but also of the people that fight for our rights each and every day. I am extremely grateful for the amazing men and women that God has given such a high calling. I know that no words or images could ever live up to their heroic stories, but I hope that my flag mural will make people stop and think of the bravery and courageousness of those who sacrifice so much for us. Without them we wouldn’t have many of the basic privileges that we have every day. We should never take for granted our rights that these fine Americans put their lives on the line for every day. I know that I speak for my whole community when I say nothing could ever express how grateful we are for our service men and women.

We are extremely appreciative and honored to live in America. God bless you.

~ Emily Melton



No comments:

Post a Comment