Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Blog from Punch Haskell- Nearing the Summit

After months of caring for my rice fields, I’m finally closing in on the final steps before harvest. With the fields fully mature, this week I started pulling my boards to drain the water from them.

About three weeks after boards are pulled, my rice fields should be sufficiently dried for harvest. Between now and the start of harvest, I’ll make the final adjustments to make sure my equipment is ready for the busy stretch ahead.

Except for the cool spring that led to delays, weather has been near ideal. Rice plants thrive in consistently temperatures. All of the days we’ve had with 90 plus degree highs and nights that weren’t too cool really helped out. It was a real blessing to avoid highs well in excess of 100 degrees that can often strike in the summer months.

As I look over my fields, I see an excellent crop. It’s a gratifying feeling to see all of the makings of a bountiful harvest – although I’ll feel even better when the last of the grain has been harvested.


Punch Haskell grows rice in Colusa County and is part of a family farming operation that began approximately 60 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment