Monday, May 16, 2011

Blog post from farmer Sean Doherty: Appreciating Nature

The rain that came on Sunday morning has given us a chance to catch our breath and slow down for a day or so. Everything has been going well enough and we are definitely on the downhill slide to getting everything flooded up. I haven't had a chance to take a lot of pictures or discuss anything new until now.


I have had a good week as far as photos are concerned. On Thursday, after a whole year of trying, I was able to get close enough to photograph some ducklings in an irrigation canal next to my field south of Grimes.


But the real treat came on Sunday morning. Nathan told me to come to field MEB 5 south of county line road. When my son and I got there he pointed out a pair of bald eagles on a rice levee in the middle. Gus and I each got our binoculars out and spent the better part of an hour watching and talking about them, and after many, many attempts I used my binoculars as a zoom lens for my camera on my phone.


Take my word for it, not easy at all. Which explains the picture quality, but I'm thankful I even got it to work so I could have a picture to share.

Sean Doherty is a 3rd generation rice farmer living out his dream, being a rice farmer in Dunnigan.

He farms in Yolo, Colusa, and Sutter Counties with his wife Melissa, and three kids, Hannah, Gus, and Mary. He enjoys being in the fields, watching the seasons, and sharing it with his family.

Read more about Sean in Rice Farming magazine


No comments:

Post a Comment