Tuesday, February 1, 2011

New Post from Blogger Lauren LaGrande- Navigating through an eventful year

It’s a new year, with new opportunities, new resolutions, and that's right.. a new driver, as I just got my license!

This year we have noticed many more bird watchers compared to previous years on our ranches. As I drive out to the ranch in my truck, I see all the bird watchers' cars lined up along the rice fields, enjoying the view. My dad says we've had plenty of rain this year to fill the reservoirs, which will enable us to plant plenty of rice. Spring planting is less than two months away.

Right now Maxwell High School is in the middle of an intense basketball season. I have the bruised knees to prove it! Also, I will be taking my steer Oreo to the Colusa County weigh-ins for fair. Oreo and I have a lot of quality time ahead of us to prepare for the fair in June. I will also be attending FBLA sections soon, which will decide whether I will qualify to compete at the state finals. I will be competing in job interview and introduction to business. Wish me luck!

Lauren LaGrande is the latest in a family farming tradition that began nearly 100 years ago. She is a sophomore at Maxwell High School and is active in FFA, Future Business Leaders of America, volleyball, basketball and softball. When she’s on the farm, you’ll often see her with her trusted companion, Hank, the family dog. Lauren’s great-grandfather grew his first rice crop in the Sacramento Valley in 1916 and the family has continued this tradition ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment