Wednesday, February 23, 2011

New post by Sean Doherty: The paperwork season

So what does a rice farmer do all winter long?

Here’s how it goes for me. I usually stay working in the fields incorporating the rice straw back into the soil until a big enough rain comes and forces me to stop. That usually takes until around the end of November. Most of December is spent cleaning equipment and putting things away for the winter. Attending the annual USA Rice Outlook Conference. Also, December is "THE" big month for birthdays in my family. Basically, my wife, and all my kids have birthdays in December and we manage to fit Christmas in too. It makes for a real busy month, but it leaves the rest of the year open, which is nice.


This photo shows you how I spend January and February. Going over cropping plans, budgets, accounts, operating loan renewals, etc, etc. Basically a whole lot of paperwork, and throw in all the continuing education rice meetings on top of it.

While I’m busy in the office, my awesome crew is fixing machinery in the shop and fabricating some new pieces as well. We change oil, repair leaks, and make sure the spring equipment can roll out in, I hope, tip-top shape.

March is just around the corner and when the ground gets dry you know where I'll be- back in the field, getting everything ready for the upcoming crop.

Sean Doherty is a 3rd generation rice farmer living out his dream, being a rice farmer in Dunnigan.

He farms in Yolo, Colusa, and Sutter Counties with his wife Melissa, and three kids, Hannah, Gus, and Mary. He enjoys being in the fields, watching the seasons, and sharing it with his family.

Read more about Sean in Rice Farming magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment