Monday, September 27, 2010

Blog post by Sean Doherty: Success

24th of September, finally! Today I started to harvest my 2010 rice crop, 12 days later than last year. That might not seem like a lot of time to you, but in harvest it is a huge amount. Harvest conditions are good right now, but I couldn't help but think about what the conditions will be like as I harvest our last field. That's what has me worried right now.

The rest of the farm is progressing, albeit at a slower pace than usual as well. We have finished harvesting our sunflower fields, the beans are getting cut and windrowed (put in rows to dry and then they are picked up a combine), and hopefully we will get to the corn in about a week.

I hope it all turns out okay. We will know soon enough.

Sean Doherty is a 3rd generation rice farmer living out his dream, being a rice farmer in Dunnigan.

He farms in Yolo, Colusa, and Sutter Counties with his wife Melissa, and three kids, Hannah, Gus, and Mary. He enjoys being in the fields, watching the seasons, and sharing it with his family.

Read more about Sean in Rice Farming magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment