Wednesday, March 13, 2013

New Debra DeWit Blog- New college and rice season are on the way

Hello to everyone!

It’s been a busy year for me and my family. I’m wrapping up my senior year at Davis High School and will be deciding which college I will go to. I plan on visiting my top two choices, Vanguard and Biola this April which is exciting. My dad and grandpa will be going to a fishing trip in Mexico this week. For spring break, my family is going to Maui to celebrate my grandparents’ 50th wedding anniversary. It’s going to be a busy few months for all of us.

As for rice, things are going smoothly so far. My cousin, Chris Opinski, a Marine Corps veteran who wants to learn how to grow rice has now joined our family operation. Maintenance on the equipment is almost done and now all we need is the ground to dry up, which is happening very quickly due to the dry late winter we had here. We can’t wait to get started.

Good luck to everyone farming this year!

Debra DeWit: "I grew up in Davis and have been around both my grandpa’s and dad’s rice farms most of my life. My grandpa was the one that started farming and passed the tradition on to my dad. My dad farms rice in Yolo County and my grandpa farms rice in Sutter, Yolo and Sacramento counties. I enjoy talking to my dad and grandpa about their days in the fields and gaining more knowledge about the crop and the business. Currently, my family and I live in Davis, and I go to the high school there. I like to hang out with friends, write, draw, go hunting with my dad and my grandpa, teach Sunday school and going to youth group."

No comments:

Post a Comment