Monday, December 3, 2012

New CRC Blog: 30,000 sloshy steps, give or take a few thousand

By Jim Morris

Yesterday marked a rainy, windy 30th annual California International Marathon.  I had the good fortune to run my 5th CIM and we had the misfortune of running into some heavy rain and whipping winds for most of it.

I believe the old adage “you are what you eat” contributed to my ability to complete the 26.2 miles.  Our family has been working to add more whole grains to our diet. As I started training in the summer, I decided to take that up a notch, trying California brown rice pasta from Lundberg Family Farms.  Erase any preconceived thought you may have about rice pasta – it’s easy to prepare and has been well received by our finicky family.  It helped me fuel up and settled really well.

The pre-race dish involved Lundberg’s brown rice spaghetti, simply prepared with a little butter, salt and Parmesan – accompanied by grilled chicken and a salad.  Just what I needed!

I finished the marathon and met all of my goals including finish without major injury.


It was an added benefit to be running on behalf of Battle for Veterans, an organization that helps disabled veterans acclimate back into society.  There were even some disabled vets that ran yesterday, which made my temporary discomfort seem trivial.

You may not have a marathon in your future, but as New Year’s resolution season approaches, an easy way towards better health is whole grains.  In this case, brown rice pasta is a winner in our household.

Jim Morris is Communications Manager for the California Rice Commission. Jim has worked in communications for more than 20 years. When he’s not on the job, he enjoys his family, faith, football, outrageous monster stories and running marathons.

No comments:

Post a Comment