Friday, August 3, 2012

New Debra DeWit Blog- An action-packed summer

I hope everyone is having a great summer. I’m personally enjoying this brief break before my senior year at Davis Senior High School. So are my dad and my grandpa. Hard work is paying off as the rice continues to grow and they are now currently en route to Alaska to go fishing. I can’t wait to hear their stories and eat the catch! As summer draws closer to an end (unfortunately for me) the harvest time comes as well. Before my dad left for Alaska, he was fixing up the combines that will be used for the fall rice harvest. That’s my sign to start anticipating for class schedule pickups and the first day of school.

My summer so far has been surprisingly busy, though not in a bad way. The last day of school, I had a few of my friends come over to my house for a homework burning bonfire. That next Monday, I was off to my youth group’s trip to Lake Shasta. It was a blast.

I tried banana boating this year again, which I have to tell you is really terrifying yet such so much fun. Basically banana boating is six people on an inflatable raft/boat that looks like a banana. After the trip, my friend Kassidy came up from Merced to stay for a week. It was great seeing her again. A few days after she left, my mom, my aunt and my cousin’s girlfriend and I went to North Carolina to visit my cousin stationed there and to drop of his truck. So yes, we drove all the way cross country for about three days, very little stops. But we flew back home and got back home at midnight.

For the fourth of July we had our traditional walk to my old elementary school to watch fireworks. My brother was home, and he was really happy to see the fireworks.

A couple weeks later I spent some time in Santa Cruz. Got sunburned, but it was worth the fun I had with my family.

Last week I volunteered at my church’s vacation bible school, Breakaway. That was a fun yet tiring experience. I lead a group of fourth grade girls and I enjoyed getting to know them while playing on slip n’ slides, making crafts and talking with them during small group time.

Now that most of my summer is complete, I can’t wait to see what I have in store for the rest of it and my senior year coming up. I’m going to see the comedian/ventriloquist Jeff Dunham with my mom this upcoming Saturday. Who knows what will come up next after that?



Debra DeWit: "I grew up in Davis and have been around both my grandpa’s and dad’s rice farms most of my life. My grandpa was the one that started farming and passed the tradition on to my dad. My dad farms rice in Yolo County and my grandpa farms rice in Sutter, Yolo and Sacramento counties. I enjoy talking to my dad and grandpa about their days in the fields and gaining more knowledge about the crop and the business. Currently, my family and I live in Davis, and I go to the high school there. I like to hang out with friends, write, draw, go hunting with my dad and my grandpa, teach Sunday school and going to youth group."

No comments:

Post a Comment