Monday, July 30, 2012

New Guest Blog- Keeping a sharp focus on Sacramento Valley Wildlife

By Phil Robertson

I called and photographed my first bird, a California Quail, at age 13 using a reed quail call and a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye box camera. I’ve been hooked on nature photography ever since! My camera for wildlife photography is a Canon EOS 7D with a Canon 100-400mm IS lens.

Growing up on a small farm in Southern Illinois I learned to love and appreciate nature. Later when I wasn’t taking wildlife photos, I crewed on a 32 foot Ericson sailboat in San Francisco Bay with an excellent skipper--Vytas Pazemenas. We won most races and all matches in the three years I raced with him. In that process I discovered that if you want to get good at something you need to compete, as competition sharpensyour skills.

These experiences fueled my competitive spirit in photographing Sacramento Valley wildlife at its best.

Capturing nature’s beauty and excitement is what gets me out of a nice, warm bed hours before dawn on an icy winter morning. It motivates me to walk through cold dark waters in my chest waders to a photo blind at the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge or a local pond; and then sit as quietly as possible for hours hoping to get “the” shot of a bird or animal.

The more wildlife I encounter on my journeys through Northern California, the more my love for nature grows.Little in this world is as beautiful as a male Wood Duck’s breeding plumage as he soaks up the first rays of morning, as delightful as the descending call of a Canyon Wren or as exciting as the exuberant, sudden rise of thousands of Snow Geese from a rice field.



I’ve been fortunate to win some awards for my wildlife photography, which is gratifying.But, the biggest reward remains the opportunity I have to appreciate God’s handiwork.

Whether you want to take photos, go bird watching or just enjoy a few unhurried moments in the countryside, visit the Sacramento Valley. This unique, unspoiled area should be cherished and protected by all!



Phil Robertson is a photographer and nature enthusiast from Lincoln. He provides travel, scenic and wildlife photos to private collectors, wildlife artists, various non-profits, environmental consulting companies, travel companies and local and regional publications and corporations.

No comments:

Post a Comment