Wednesday, February 1, 2012

New CRC Blog- View from Above

By Julie Cader

Julie is Finance & Administration Manager for the California Rice Commission and a passionate supporter of local family rice farms and mills. 

While flying into Sacramento International Airport the other day, I was reminded of the often-asked question when folks learn that I work for the California Rice Commission, "We grow rice in California? I didn't know we grew rice in California!"

That's my cue.

I love to respond with, "Do you fly out of Sacramento International Airport?" They often answer "yes', and I excitingly say, "then look down as the plane takes off. What you will see is a beautiful patchwork of rice
fields slipping beneath you!"


Most California rice farmers use laser land leveling techniques to prepare the ground for production, creating this amazing patchwork of rice paddies. Laser leveling is one of the most effective techniques to improve water use efficiency and experienced agricultural pilots use satellite guidance technology to broadcast seed accurately over these leveled fields.

So the next time you have a flight out of Sacramento, look down!

No comments:

Post a Comment