Wednesday, November 23, 2011

New blog from Sean Doherty- Let it Rain

What a challenging year! More so than last year I'd wager. This last weekend was the first one that I've had off since September and what a nice wet one it was.

These winter rainy days are one of the "perks" of being a rice farmer. The crop is in the warehouse, the equipment is back at the shop, the mountain of paperwork can be pushed off for a day or two, and you can spend the day at home with the family.

Not that the family isn't out in the fields with me. Quite the contrary, some of the best days of harvest season is when I forget my lunch and my wife Melissa and some or all of the kids bring it to me. Or if its a weekend and my son spends the day in the harvester with me, talking about all the things that second grade boys talk about. It's just that the winter is when you're able to relax a bit, unwind and not have to worry about much until, say.........March. As for now, let it rain.


Sean Doherty is a 3rd generation rice farmer living out his dream, being a rice farmer in Dunnigan.

He farms in Yolo, Colusa, and Sutter Counties with his wife Melissa, and three kids, Hannah, Gus, and Mary. He enjoys being in the fields, watching the seasons, and sharing it with his family.

Read more about Sean in Rice Farming magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment