Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Blog post by Debra DeWit- Busy Season

This week has been a pretty interesting one for my family and me.
As far as school goes, I have been generally swamped by all the work given to me by my teachers and today I took the PSAT’s. I’m hoping for good scores.

My dad had originally planned to start harvesting early last week, but Monday’s rain held us back from starting. The rain made the dirt roads on the Conway Ranch in Yolo County (where my dad farms) turn to mud and he can’t get through. But last Wednesday, there was no rain and he was able to start. Recently though, he has had some trouble with equipment, which can delay the process quite a bit depending on what needs to be fixed.

As far as the rice crop itself, it’s looking good. The moisture level is at 20 to 21 percent, which is just the ideal level for harvest. So far, my dad has gotten twenty-two loads of rice off to the dryer. Though this is a good start, my dad wishes to start sending eight loads to the dryer a day, once everything starts running smoothly and hopefully that’s as soon as possible.


Debra DeWit: "I grew up in Davis and have been around both my grandpa’s and dad’s rice farms most of my life. My grandpa was the one that started farming and passed the tradition on to my dad. My dad farms rice in Yolo County and my grandpa farms rice in Sutter, Yolo and Sacramento counties. I enjoy talking to my dad and grandpa about their days in the fields and gaining more knowledge about the crop and the business. Currently, my family and I live in Davis, and I go to the high school there. I like to hang out with friends, write, draw, go hunting with my dad and my grandpa, teach Sunday school and going to youth group."

No comments:

Post a Comment