Thursday, August 11, 2011

Guest blog: Immortalizing Wildlife

By Don Hovie, Sacramento-based wildlife woodcarver

I have enjoyed and studied birds since was a young boy drawing and painting them. In 1946, when I was nine, my father gave me a carving set for my birthday and have been carving ever since. I have carved many species of shorebirds but game birds and waterfowl are more of my specialty. When I saw that the California Rice Commission wanted a Whimbrel for the 20ll Pacific Flyway Decoy Association show I decided I would enter. I drew up a pattern and procured a nice piece of sugar pine. After carving, sanding and sealing I painted it with Artist Acrylic paint. The Whimbrel has a classic look and shape and lends well for artistic rendering.

The Whimbrel is a large member of the sandpiper family smaller than his more common cousin the Long-billed Curlew. While in rice fields, Whimbrels probe for insects, worms and invertebrates. Along the coast it forages for small crabs and other beach creatures. During spring and fall, a wide scattering of Whimbrel may be seen on expansive mudflats, along undisturbed ocean wave slopes or in large plowed fields. Shorebirds of all kinds were hunted for the market until about the turn of the 20th century. The only shorebirds hunted today are the common Snipe and the Woodcock.

From the 1860’s to around 1900 market hunters would carve their own shorebird decoys. Those decoys today are worth thousands of dollars.

Carving for many years was my occupation. Now it is more of a hobby, but I still love it.


Don Hovie was among the winners at the 41st Annual Pacific Decoy Flyway Association’s Classic Wildlife Art Festival, held in Sacramento last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment