Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blog post by Dennis Lindberg: Milestone Season

Sunshine and recent north winds have dried up many of the large accumulations of water in my fields, which means a new rice-growing season is about to begin.

This will be my 70th consecutive year farming rice. A healthy dose of optimism, as well as a supportive family and community will help me achieve this milestone.

My son Gary takes the lead on field preparation and planting. He’s doing just what you would want from your son – making sure all of the farm work is done in a timely manner.

I’m planning on 200-acres of rice this year, which will be an increase from last year’s plantings. Once again, I will be planting all medium-grain rice, as they perform the best in our heavy clay Richvale soils.

At this time of the year, you always look forward with anticipation for what you hope will be a successful year.

I’m not sure how many more years I will grow rice, as farming takes a lot of physical exertion. For now, I have at least one more season in the fields to enjoy.

Dennis Lindberg has grown rice in Butte County for nearly 70 consecutive years.He’s a well-known author and metal artist, taking scrap metal and creating beautiful animal sculptures. His civic work and love of community is evidenced by his being honored as “Outstanding Citizen of the 20th Century” by Lundberg Family Farms. He and his wife Charlotte have two children – Gary and Sherry. Gary farms with his father in the historic community of Richvale, which recently celebrated its centennial.

No comments:

Post a Comment