Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blog post by Riley "Punch" Haskell: Amazing scenery

Quite simply, this has been as good a year for wildlife concentrations in Sacramento Valley rice country as I’ve seen.

There’s something special and stirring when you see tens of thousands of Snow Geese in a field. It’s easy to be in awe, and you really just have to stop what you’re doing and watch them. I see a lot of folks driving along the interstate take note of this spectacular sight.




Large flocks of birds started showing up in and around my fields on the west side of the valley in October, which as it turned out was well before my harvest was over. Nevertheless, they had plenty of areas to rest and refuel.

I’ve seen and heard of big numbers of many of the 230 wildlife species that rely on California rice fields and adjacent wetlands for food and habitat, including Speckled Geese and ducks, such as Cinnamon Teal and Mallards.

I would imagine that the wildlife remain prolific for several more months.

Even though I’ve seen plenty of birds over the years, it’s something I look forward to every year.

You never get tired of enjoying nature. That’s part of the DNA of being a farmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment