Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving blog post by Nicole Van Vleck: Holiday Traditions

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. My husband, Stan, and I adopted it as "ours" when we got married. Selfishly, we thought it would save us driving all over the Sacramento Valley for multiple Thanksgiving dinners.

Many of our traditions started from that first year. I have always set the table the weekend before. I prepare the turkey, which is locally raised by a friend. I prepare my mother-in-law's stuffing with walnuts from my parents' orchard. I must admit that I have always bought canned cranberries (until this year). Others always contribute to the feast; my father-in-law brings a Celebrations Salad with walnuts and fresh cranberries (to make up for my canned ones). My mom brings her famous mashed potatoes and my brother-in-law makes the gravy on the stove once the bird comes out.

Some new traditions have come about with the kids getting older. My daughter and I make pies the day before. My family and many of our friends participate in the Run to Feed the Hungry in Sacramento on Thanksgiving morning. We have to split up between the timed runners (my husband and son) and the lingering walkers (my daughter and me). It is a wonderful event to help feed those that need extra assistance and it draws participants from six Sacramento Valley counties. It also helps relieve the guilt later that evening when I go back for seconds.

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Nicole Montna Van Vleck is a third generation rice farmer who farms with her parents and sister in Sutter County. Nicole is Managing Partner of Montna Farms which grows, dries and stores super premium short grain rice. Montna Farms partners with many waterfowl organizations to protect and enhance waterfowl habitat primarily on its working rice lands.

Nicole is a graduate of UCLA and The California Agricultural Leadership Program. Nicole and her husband Stan have two school-aged children.

No comments:

Post a Comment